As of 10/1/2017, this manual has been retired. For current policies, procedures, and standards for the Texas Workforce Commission Vocational Rehabilitation Division, please refer to the following manuals:

In this manual, references to DARS now refer to TWC. The manual includes both links to public content and links to content available only to staff.

Chapter 13: Supplementary Services

13.1 Overview

(Revised 12/09)

This section describes policies that apply to services that

These services include

13.2 Maintenance Services

(Revised 07/10, 10/14, 05/16, 04/17)

TWS-VR may authorize and pay maintenance to a customer in accordance with the definition of maintenance within the Code of Federal Regulations, 361.5 (c)(34):

"Maintenance means monetary support provided to an individual for expenses, such as food, shelter, and clothing, that are in excess of the normal expenses of the individual and that are necessitated by the individual's participation in an assessment for determining eligibility and vocational rehabilitation needs or the individual's receipt of vocational rehabilitation services under an individualized plan for employment."

(Authority: Sections 12(c) and 103(a)(7) of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended; 29 USC 709(c) and 723(a)(7))

TWS-VR may authorize and pay maintenance only for expenses that are in excess of the normal expenses of the individual and that are necessary for participation in:

Normal living expenses include such items as housing, food, clothing, and transportation, and whatever additional expenses would be considered necessary to those broad categories (not directly associated with the receipt of VR services), such as utility costs and vehicle insurance.

CFR 361.5(c)(34) states that "the following are examples of expenses that would meet the definition of maintenance. The examples are illustrative, do not address all possible circumstances, and are not intended to substitute for individual counselor judgment.

Example 1: The cost of a uniform or other suitable clothing that is required for an individual's job placement or job-seeking activities.

Example 2: The cost of short-term shelter that is required in order for an individual to participate in assessment activities or vocational training at a site that is not within commuting distance of an individual's home.

Example 3: The initial one-time costs, such as a security deposit or charges for the initiation of utilities that are required in order for an individual to relocate for a job placement."

TWS-VR uses three categories of maintenance:

All approved maintenance expenditures must be necessary and reasonable under the circumstances prevailing at the time a decision is made and must be clearly documented in the case file.

Decision-making factors to consider include but are not limited to:

  1. individual rehabilitation needs consistent with each individual's informed choice;
  2. market rates or limitations specified by TWC policy;
  3. availability of cost-effective alternatives; and
  4. all other established policies and procedures, including policies and procedures for customer participation in cost of services, also known as basic living requirements (BLR). Refer to Chapter 4: Assessing and Planning, 4.6 Customer Participation in the Cost of Services for more information.

Maintenance cannot be used for costs directly associated with transportation, such as mileage or driver services. For more information about transportation as a supplemental service, refer to 13.3 Transportation Services.

13.2.1 Recurring Maintenance

Recurring maintenance (also referred to as "weekly maintenance" in ReHabWorks (RHW) is used for expenses that are incurred on a recurring basis as a direct result of participation in VR services.

Recurring maintenance is:

Manager review and approval are required for recurring maintenance service authorizations that exceed four consecutive weeks or a total of six cumulative weeks; approvals can be for no more than 12 weeks per approval.

Documentation of Use of VR Funds

Customers must be informed that they are required to maintain logs to verify that the maintenance funds are being used for their intended purpose. These logs must be turned in and reviewed by the counselor monthly. Customers should maintain copies of receipts to verify the content of the logs for audit purposes, but these receipts do not need to be turned in to TWS-VR with the logs.

If a log for recurring maintenance is not turned in in a timely manner or if it is determined that the funds were not used for their intended purpose, no additional maintenance payments can be authorized. Manager review and approval will be required before recurring maintenance is reinstated.

Manager review and approval must be completed and documented in RHW before the service authorization is issued.

13.2.2 Non-Recurring Maintenance

Non-recurring maintenance (also referred to as "one-time maintenance" in RHW) is used for one-time expenses that are incurred as a direct result of participation in VR services.

Non-recurring maintenance may also be used to purchase:

Documentation of Use of VR Funds

The customer must provide a receipt that shows proof of purchase from the vendor to verify that funds were used for their intended purpose before any additional maintenance funds are released to the customer for any purpose.

If a receipt for non-recurring maintenance is not turned in or if it is determined that the funds were not used for their intended purpose, authorization of any additional maintenance funds for any purpose will require manager review and approval.

Manager review and approval are required for all non-recurring maintenance that is equal to or greater than $200.

Manager review and approval is required before maintenance can be paid to the customer to purchase goods or services that have more specific purchasing processes and/or specifications available in RHW.

Manager review and approval must be completed and documented in RHW before the service authorization is issued.

13.2.3 Short-term Housing Maintenance

Short-term housing maintenance is used only for short-term housing expenses that are incurred as a direct result of participation in VR assessments or services. It may not be used to pay a customer's mortgage payment or the customer's usual and customary rent for housing, which are considered normal living expenses.

When it is expected that short-term housing maintenance (in excess of normal living expenses) will exceed a total of three months (cumulatively or consecutively), the TWS-VR team must initiate the process to set up the landlord and/or lessor as a provider for "room and board" during the first month for which short-term housing maintenance is authorized. Refer to Chapter 17: Purchasing Goods and Services for Consumers, 17.17.3 Setting Up and Paying Providers for more information on this process. If the landlord or lessor refuses to be set up as a provider for any reason, alternate housing must be explored. If no other acceptable options are available, justification for paying the customer directly for ongoing room and board must be clearly documented in a case note and reviewed for management approval.

Once the landlord or lessor is set up as a provider, short-term housing expenses should be paid as "room and board." Refer to Chapter 8: Training Services, 8.1.4 Authorized Services for Training and Chapter 17: Purchasing Goods and Services for Consumers, 17.17.2 Paying in Advance for more information about paying room and board.

Documentation of Use of VR Funds

The customer must provide a receipt that shows proof of payment to the provider to verify that funds were used for their intended purpose before any additional maintenance funds are released to the customer for any purpose. If a receipt is not turned in or if it is determined that the funds were not used for their intended purpose, authorization of any additional maintenance funds for any purpose will require manager review and approval.

Manager review and approval is required for all short-term housing maintenance and is limited to three-month increments (cumulatively or consecutively). For example, a manager may approve the initial three months of short-term housing maintenance; if additional short-term housing maintenance is needed beyond the initial three months for any reason, then additional manager review and approval is required for each three-month period.

Manager review and approval must be completed and documented in RHW before the service authorization is issued.

13.2.4 When TWS-VR Does Not Authorize the Use of Maintenance

Do not use any form of maintenance for:

Short-term housing maintenance cannot be used to support training, activities, or assessments that occur in the same town as the customer's residence.

Exceptions require review and approval by TWC-VRS state office management.

13.2.5 Processing Maintenance Payments

Maintenance may be authorized and paid in advance.

Maintenance checks, or warrants, are mailed:

See Chapter 17: Purchasing Goods and Services for Consumers for more information about processing payments.

13.2.6 State Law Prohibitions on Warrants for Individuals

*State law prohibits the state comptroller from issuing a maintenance warrant to a person who owes the state or federal government delinquent taxes or a defaulted debt (for example, a Texas Guaranteed Student Loan).*

*Based on Texas Education Code Sections 57.48, 57.482; Texas Family Code Section 231.007(a)–(k); Texas Government Code Sections 403.055(a)–(l), 403.0551, 403.0552, 2107.008, 2252.903(a)–(d)

13.3 Transportation Services

*Transportation consists of travel and related expenses that are necessary for a consumer to participate in a VR service provided under an IPE or for an assessment to determine eligibility.*

*Based on 34 CFR Sections 361.5(b)(57) and 361.48(h)

Transportation of a consumer for any purpose must be by the most economical and effective carrier.

State law prohibits the state comptroller from issuing a transportation warrant directly to a person who owes the state or federal government delinquent taxes or a defaulted debt (for example, a Texas Guaranteed Student Loan).

Transportation warrants are mailed

Do not use petty cash for transportation except in an emergency (see DARS Business Procedures Manual Chapter 23: Accounting, 23.3 Consumer Emergency Fund).

13.3.1 Transportation Providers

Public Carrier. A public carrier is a vehicle or set of vehicles in the business of transporting the public; for example,

Private or Third-Party Carrier. A private carrier is a vehicle owned by a person or private organization other than the consumer, and not customarily for hire. For example, you may pay the consumer's family member, neighbor, or residential service provider to transport the consumer if he or she has

The Consumer as the Carrier. DRS reimburses the consumer for the use of the consumer's vehicle for transportation when this is the most economical and effective method.

13.3.2 Transporting the Consumer in a DARS Staff Member's Personal Vehicle

Transport the consumer in your personal vehicle only when transporting the consumer coincides with travel when performing your regular duties, or there is an emergency. Do not accept reimbursement from the consumer.

Exercise particular care when transporting a consumer in your personal vehicle. Under the Texas Tort Claims Act, DARS can be liable should the consumer be injured because of a wrongful act or the negligence of a DARS employee. The DARS employee must exercise the degree of care that a reasonable and prudent person would exercise under the same circumstances.

Notify your manager in advance if it is necessary to transport the consumer in a DARS staff member's personal vehicle.

13.3.3 Types of Transportation

There are two types of transportation:

You may authorize and pay transportation in advance.

Transportation Type When Provided Limits Required Documentation

Recurring transportation

Recurring payments to the consumer or a third party to offset the consumer's ongoing expenses that are necessary for the consumer to participate in VR assessments or IPE services.

  • Actual cost to consumer for public transportation.
  • Actual mileage times a maximum of $.55 per mile when paid directly to private or third party.
  • Actual mileage times a maximum of $.21 per mile*, not to exceed $50 per week, when paid directly to consumer.
  • Service justification case note that includes calculations and source used to define "actual mileage"
  • Verification of consumer participation in service

Non-recurring transportation

One-time payment to the consumer or a third party for transportation that is necessary for the consumer to participate in VR assessments or IPE services.

  • Area manager approval required over $400.
  • If the payment is over $400, contact RHW Provider Services by emailing to have the consumer established as a provider.
  • Do not use the pseudo number to create a service record for non-recurring transportation that exceeds $400.
  • Service justification case note that includes calculations and source used to define "actual mileage"
  • Verification of consumer participation in service

*Rate adjusted quarterly.

13.3.4 Airfare

(Revised 07/16)

Central Billing

Consumer airfare purchases are completed using the Consumer Central Billed Account (CBA).

Using the Central Billed Account (CBA) for consumer airfare purchases allows caseload-carrying staff members to purchase consumer airfare at state-contracted rates.

In addition to reducing airfare costs for consumer travel, using the Central Billed Account has the following benefits:

When using the Central Billed Account, reservations must be made at least 14 days in advance and ticketed at least seven days in advance to allow for review and to ensure that the itinerary is acceptable to the consumer. For travel being requested during holiday periods, reservations should be made at least 30 days in advance.

Requesting Consumer Air Travel

The caseload-carrying staff member or the designee must

Note on the DARS1762 any special needs or requirements the consumer or passenger may have. For example, document whether the consumer

Procedure for Consumer Air Travel

The following procedure is used to book and verify the travel.

Accounting—Consumer Airfare Team
  1. authorizes the charge to the Consumer CBA.
Travel Agency
  1. books the airfare; and
  2. emails the reservation and ticket confirmation itinerary to the Accounting--Consumer Airfare Team.
Accounting--Consumer Airfare Team
  1. maintains a printed copy of the itinerary in the Consumer CBA; and
  2. forwards the confirmation by email to the DARS staff member who requested the travel).
DARS Staff Member
  1. must respond by email to the DARS Consumer Airfare mailbox to confirm that the forwarded itinerary is acceptable;
  • upon confirming the itinerary as acceptable, completes a service record and service authorization using the date, purchase price, and fees information provided; and
  1. does not create the service authorization for payment at this time.
Consumer or passenger
  1. must provide the itinerary or confirmation number and a valid driver's license, photo ID, or other acceptable proof of identification. (Acceptable forms of identification are found at Transportation Security Administration Identification.)
DARS Staff Member
  1. receives a mass email from the Accounting—Consumer Airfare Team staff members paying the bank statement once the consumer travel is shown on the bank statement (The email names all consumer(s) that traveled within that bank statement period.); and
  2. adds the service authorization number in the appropriate column for the consumer.
  1. verifies and audits the service authorization and lets the DARS staff member know when he or she can receive and authorize payment for the consumer's travel.

Creating the Service Record and Service Authorization

When the DARS staff member who requested travel receives confirmation of travel information from Accounting--Consumer Airfare Team, he or she must complete a service record and service authorization (SA) in ReHabWorks. (See ReHabWorks Users Guide, Chapter 16: Case Service Record, 16.2.10 Consumer Airfare for details.)

Processing the Payment

In order for Accounting--Consumer Airfare Team to process payment for consumer travel, you must have created the service record and SA in ReHabWorks.

If discrepancies are noted between the service record, SA, or invoice received by Accounting--Consumer Airfare Team, a team member emails you to resolve the differences.

Cancelled Flights

The ticket is paid for using a DARS CBA credit card. If the consumer's ticket requires cancellation, you must notify the Accounting--Consumer Airfare Team immediately by email at DARS Consumer Airfare or by phone at 1-866-440-0423. Select option 7 for immediate assistance. The following responsibilities and conditions apply:

Consumers Attending Gallaudet University or the National Technical Institute for the Deaf

Air transportation for students attending Gallaudet University or the National Technical Institute for the Deaf is limited to two round-trip coach tickets per year.

Air Travel Questions

If you have questions regarding consumer airfare procedures, contact Accounting--Consumer Airfare Team by

13.3.5 Bulk Purchases of Local Bus Tickets for Consumers

With the area manager's approval (or, in the absence of the area manager, a higher management authority), the management support specialist (MSS) or the unit support technician (UST) purchases local bus tickets, passes, tokens, transfers, etc., in bulk for consumers as a decentralized purchase using the HHSAS requisition process.

13.3.6 Relocation

If the consumer cannot participate in IPE services or employment because transportation is not available, discuss with the consumer the option of relocating to a community that meets the consumer's transportation needs.

If the consumer decides to move, then determine the extent of help necessary to achieve the move. Some consumers require minimal help (for example, helping pay for moving van rental, mileage, boxes) while others, because of disability-related limitations, may require full assistance (such as packers, movers, and unpackers).

If you will be purchasing services from a moving company, contact Consumer Procurement and Business Services for help in determining if using a state term contract results in best value.

Payment of deposits, for example rental or utility deposits, on behalf of consumers is not allowed by the Comptroller's State of Texas Purchase Policies and Procedures Guide, and area managers cannot approve these purchases.

13.3.7 Vehicle Repair

Like other transportation services, provide payment for the repair of the consumer's vehicle only when necessary for the consumer to participate in other planned services, such as vocational training and job-related services.

Payment for vehicle repair, including parts and labor, is authorized only when

Authorization covers only repairs that are necessary to make the vehicle safe and operable.

The area manager must approve vehicle repairs exceeding $250.

Before authorizing payment, consider and document in a case note that

Vehicle repairs are authorized in Post-Closure Services only when in support of other planned services.

For additional information about repairs to vehicle modifications, see Chapter 11: Technology Services, 11.2.12 Purchasing Equipment and Modification Repairs.

13.3.8 Vehicle Rental

You may provide a rental vehicle if

To provide a rental vehicle, obtain

Do not request state rates because only state employees may use them.

The consumer or consumer's driver must

If the consumer does not have collision insurance, you may pay the rental agency's additional daily rate for required insurance. DRS does not pay for personal accident insurance.

The consumer must

Vehicles with hand controls and/or modified vehicles can be rented from commercial car rental agencies. Advance notice may be required to allow the provider to locate the needed vehicles or devices.

13.3.9 Modified Vehicle or Vehicle for Modifications

(Revised 06/09, 06/10, 07/16)

For more information on the purchase of vehicle modifications or modified vehicles, refer to Chapter 11: Technology Services, 11.2 Vehicle Modifications.

13.4 Personal Attendant Services

(Revised 12/09)

*Personal attendant services (personal assistant services) involve help with daily living activities such as transferring, dressing and undressing, showering, feeding, managing bowel and bladder activities, shifting weight, mobility, and writing. Provide them only if the consumer has significant physical limitations, and only while the consumer is actively involved in other VR services such as vocational training, college training, and employment assistance.* These services do not require the level of skill of nurses or other health care professionals.

*Based on 34 CFR Section 361.5(b)(39)

13.4.1 Planning for Attendant Services

In determining the employment goal, consider that the consumer will eventually assume financial responsibility for attendant services.

Consider providing services that allow the consumer to do things independently (for example, an environmental control system, an automatic patient lift). The initial cost for assistive technology usually is higher than purchasing attendant care, but may be more economical in the long term.

13.4.2 Locating and Training Personal Attendants

You and the consumer share the responsibility for locating a suitable personal attendant. However, because of the individualized nature of these services, the consumer should assume primary responsibility for instructing the personal attendant regarding his or her specific needs. The consumer should also inform you about the attendant's job performance.

Centers for independent living and student service offices on college campuses are often sources for locating and training personal attendants.

13.4.3 Providing Attendant Services while Providing Employment Assistance

When employment assistance and counseling and guidance are the primary services being provided, personal attendant services are limited to a maximum of six months.

The case file must clearly document ongoing employment assistance activities while DRS is also providing personal attendant services.

You may continue providing personal attendant services for

13.4.4 Supporting Relocation from a Nursing Home or Institution

Personal attendant services may be provided for up to 12 months, if a consumer is relocating to a private residence from a

13.4.5 Comparable Benefits

*Use comparable benefits when they are

You may supplement these comparable services, as necessary, with case service funds.

*Based on 34 CFR Section 361.5(b)(10)

13.4.6 Fees

Negotiate fees for personal attendant services with the consumer and the attendant, but you make the final determination. The fee amount depends on

You must use any fee previously negotiated between DRS and an organization when personal attendant services are provided by that organization.

13.5 Interpreter Services for the Deaf

(Revised 03/09)

An interpreter conveys messages between people without contributing to the dialogue.

DRS uses interpreter services to facilitate consumer communication in the rehabilitation process. *Interpreter services are provided by qualified personnel and include sign language and oral interpretation for persons who are deaf or hard of hearing and tactile interpretation for persons who are deaf-blind.*

*Based on 34 CFR Section 361.48(j)

*Interpreter services are exempt from policy establishing economic need.*

*Based on 34 CFR Section 361.54(b)(3)(i)(G)

The state coordinator for deaf and hard of hearing services can help with obtaining interpreter services.

13.5.1 Maintaining Consumer Confidentiality

Inform the interpreter and consumer that information provided is maintained in confidence (see DARS Business Procedures Manual, Chapter 20: Confidentiality and Use of Consumer Records and Information).

13.5.2 Using Certified Interpreters

(Revised 04/12)

You must use certified interpreters when possible.

For a list of certified interpreters, use the BEI Interpreter List. For more information, and to access the necessary ID name and password, refer to the DHHS Resources page.

A certified interpreter is one who holds at least one current certificate of competency from one of the following organizations:

A DRS employee who is competent in sign language may facilitate communication between DRS staff and the consumer or other people who are deaf inside the office or related setting.

A DRS employee may not serve as an interpreter during an appeal process (see Chapter 18: Consumer Rights and Legal Issues, 18.3 Appeal and Mediation Procedures). Do not use the services of a DRS employee for consumer communication outside the office except as a last resort.

Additional information on certification levels and recommended settings is available at the DHHS Web page Situations and Recommended Interpreter Certification Levels.

13.5.3 Using Noncertified Interpreters

(Revised 02/10)

When a certified interpreter is not available, you may use a noncertified interpreter who is otherwise competent to interpret. In these cases, get the consumer's written approval before hiring the interpreter.

You may not use a noncertified interpreter in the following settings:

13.5.4 Purchasing Interpreter Services

Ordinarily, payment for interpreter services must not exceed the established DRS Fee Schedule. You should make every effort to plan service delivery according to the regular (day) rates. For specific rates and interpreter policy, see DHHS Communication Access Maximum Rates.

13.5.5 Colleges and Universities

DRS has contracts with several colleges and universities to offset part of the cost for interpreter services, and rates are determined by the contract terms. Therefore, fees in the DRS Fee Schedule do not apply to contracted institutions unless noted in the terms of the contract.

Payments made to colleges and universities that are not under a DRS contract must comply with the established DRS Fee Schedule.

13.5.6 Paying an Out-of-State Provider

When an out-of-state provider performs interpreter services

13.5.7 Procedures for Purchasing Interpreter Services

The rate for interpreter services depends on the

Use the following procedure to purchase the services of an interpreter.

Consumer and Counselor

  1. agree on the type of interpreter (oral or sign language) and certification level needed (for appropriate certification level, see Interpreter Settings chart).


  1. before selecting the service provider, identifies in the service record the appropriate HHS region where services will be provided (for the appropriate HHS region, see the Table of Comparison).


  1. selects the provider from among those available.


  1. contacts the agency or independent service provider to request services indicating
    • certification level needed; and
    • date, time, and location of event; and
  2. compares the provider's quoted fee to the maximum allowable fee, negotiating with the service provider when necessary.

Service Provider

  1. provides the name and level of the assigned interpreter.


  1. informs the consumer of the assigned interpreter;
  2. obtains agreement from consumer;
  3. issues a service authorization for the services; and

Upon receipt of the provider's invoice,

  1. verifies the amount charged against the maximum allowable fee in the DHHS Communication Access Maximum Rates, and
  2. pays for the services.

13.6 Translator Services

*DRS provides translator services for the consumer in the

*Based on 34 CFR Section 361.51(c)

For TWC policy and procedures to access language services, see TWC Language Services webpage.

All area managers

The area manager is responsible for contacting Procurement and Business Services about updates so that the provider profiles available to all staff are current. The list is also included in the Regional Communications Plan submitted to the HHS Office for Civil Rights.

Inform the translator and consumer that information provided will be maintained in confidence. See Business Procedures Manual, Chapter 20: Confidentiality and Use of Consumer Records and Information for policy on protecting consumer information.

13.6.1 Guidelines for Translator Services

When the consumer has a limited ability to speak English, make every effort to locate a translator who

Obtain help in identifying translators from organizations such as high schools, colleges, universities, the local chamber of commerce, churches, or private translator services, where you might find representatives of the consumer's particular ethnic group.

When it is not practical for the translator to be present with you and the consumer, use a speaker-phone to communicate with the translator.

When DRS sponsors a training program, ensure that the consumer who has a limited ability to speak English is provided adequate help from

13.6.2 Language Line

(Revised 04/11)

You may use the Language Line telephone interpreter services when a translator is not available. See the TWC Language Services webpage.

13.7 Services to the Consumer's Family Members

You may provide services to the consumer's family members when those services

Provide any of the usual VR services

Consider only substantial services that

You must clearly describe in case notes

13.8 Child-Care Services

(Added 09/11)

13.8.1 Overview

You may purchase child care for a consumer who has children under the age of 13 if the consumer cannot complete planned vocational activities without child care. Children 13 and older who require supervision because of a disability also qualify for this service. Examples of activities related to the vocational goal include diagnostic services, physical restoration, training, and work.

13.8.2 Resources

Explore resources such as the consumer's family members, neighbors, or community day care programs to see if they can meet the consumer's child-care needs. A state-subsidized program, the Texas Workforce Commission Workforce Solutions, offers child care for low-income people who are working or participating in training or educational activities leading to employment.

If the consumer is not eligible for the Workforce Solutions program and has no comparable benefits, you may purchase child care. The consumer must select a provider who is licensed, registered, or listed on the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS) Web site.

The selection of a provider is the consumer's responsibility as a parent. You may help the consumer access information about how to select appropriate, safe child care through the DFPS Web site.

13.8.3 Acceptable Child-Care Providers

DFPS licenses, registers, or lists the following categories of providers (see definitions at Child-Care Providers Licensed, Registered or Listed through the Department of Family Protective Services):

You may not pay for services provided by a person who is not identified on the DFPS Web site as a provider in one of these categories. Area managers may not make an exception to this policy.

If a consumer wants to use someone to provide child care who is not currently recognized by DFPS, that person must contact his or her local DFPS licensing office to learn how to become licensed, registered, or listed. The procedure for becoming a Listed Family Home requires limited documentation and may be appropriate for a family member or friend who wants to provide child care. See Procedure for Becoming Listed as a Child-Care Provider.

13.8.4 Establishing a Child-Care Provider as a DARS Vendor

If the consumer selects an acceptable child-care provider who is not already a DARS vendor, contact RHW Provider Services by emailing to initiate the process. See Establishing a Child-Care Provider as a DARS Vendor.

13.8.5 Payment Guidelines

If no comparable benefits are available for child care, you may pay up to 100 percent of the consumer's child-care costs during training, not to exceed the maximum rates listed on the Maximum Rates tables below. Child-care payments during training are limited to the duration of training.

You may pay for child care after a consumer has achieved employment for a total of no more than two months at the following percentages:

Payments may not exceed the maximum allowed rates listed on the Maximum Rates tables.

13.8.6 Maximum Rates for Child Care

Maximum Rates
For Child Care Provided During Daytime or Traditional Business Hours
(From 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Monday through Friday)
  Infants (0–17 months) Full Day Infants (0–17 months) Part Day Toddlers (18–35 months) Full Day Toddlers (18–35 months) Part Day Preschool (3–5 years) Full Day Preschool (3–5 years) Part Day School Age (6–12 years) Full Day School Age (6–12 years) Part Day
Licensed Child-Care Center $25.96 $17.15 $22.71 $16.22 $20.55 $16.22 $19.47 $12.98
Licensed Child-Care Home $21.63 $16.07 $19.00 $15.45 $18.54 $16.22 $14.49 $10.82
Registered Child-Care Home $21.10 $14.92 $18.54 $12.36 $17.51 $12.36 $14.06 $10.30
Listed Family Home $15.17 $15.17 $13.19 $11.48 $11.30 $8.48 $9.42 $6.59


Maximum Rates
For Child Care Provided During Night, Weekend, or Nontraditional Business Hours
(Reimbursed at 5% above daytime rates)
  Infants (0–17 months) Full Day Infants (0–17 months) Part Day Toddlers (18–35 months) Full Day Toddlers (18–35 months) Part Day Preschool (3–5 years) Full Day Preschool (3–5 years) Part Day School Age (6–12 years) Full Day School Age (6–12 years) Part Day
Licensed Child-Care Center $27.26 $18.01 $23.85 $17.03 $21.58 $17.03 $20.44 $13.63
Licensed Child-Care Home $22.71 $16.87 $19.95 $16.22 $19.47 $17.03 $15.21 $11.36
Registered Child-Care Home $22.16 $15.67 $19.47 $12.98 $18.39 $12.98 $14.76 $10.82
Listed Family Home $15.93 $15.93 $13.85 $12.05 $11.87 $8.90 $9.89 $6.92

1Full Day is 6–12 hours within a 24-hour period

2Part Day is < 6 hours within a 24-hour period

Some providers may charge a registration fee in addition to ordinary child-care costs. You may pay up to $100.00 to register each child who will be participating in child care. If the provider's fee exceeds $100.00, area managers may grant an exception to exceed the $100.00 rate on a case-by-case basis.

Payment for child care is a substantial service. A consumer's case may not be closed "successful" until the consumer has worked and paid for 100 percent of his or her child care for 90 days.

13.8.7 Building Service Records for Child Care

For information about selecting specification levels, see Building Service Records for Child Care Payments and Registration Fees.

13.9 Tools and Equipment

(Revised 12/08)

Required tools and equipment DRS buys for a consumer are the property of the State of Texas. Tools and equipment may include motorized equipment such as

You may provide required tools and equipment to the consumer when the following conditions are met:

Tools and equipment may be repaired if replacement is not cheaper.

Remind the consumer of the agreement in the IPE to

Exercise due diligence in recovering usable tools and equipment the consumer no longer needs.

13.9.1 Procedures for Buying, Transferring, or Reporting Lost or Stolen Tools and Equipment

The following table presents procedures for activities related to tools and equipment.

Activity Procedure
Paying for goods You must
  • obtain the consumer's signature on an itemized receipt or cash register receipt that describes each good purchased, or a DARS3425, Receipt for Items;
  • place the signed receipt in the case file.
Transferring tools or equipment Occupational tools, equipment, and supplies originally purchased for a consumer and later recovered may be transferred to another consumer if the equipment is still serviceable or under warranty.

The MSS transfers consumer equipment from one consumer location to another and

  • assesses the condition of the equipment; or
  • hires a local consultant to assess it, when necessary; and
  • reports the equipment condition to the receiving MSS.

When the recovered items are not reissued to another consumer, transfer them to the Property Management Office (PMO) located at the DRS Central Warehouse.

Document transfers and reissues in case notes of both consumers involved. Do not enter the name of one consumer in another consumer's case file.

Reporting the misappropriation of tools and equipment If a consumer sells; pawns; loans; uses as loan collateral; transfers to an unauthorized, known third party; or otherwise uses tools or equipment unlawfully,
  • notify the third party immediately that the state has title to the property, and
  • request that the property be returned; and
  • contact DARS Legal Services through appropriate management channels before DRS files theft charges against the consumer.

13.10 Occupational Licenses

(Added 12/08, Revised 07/10)

An occupational license is any license, permit, or other written authority from a state, city, or other governmental unit that a person must have to practice an occupation.

Occupational licenses are intended to enhance a consumer's employability, *and may be provided as appropriate to meet the consumer's vocational needs.*

*Based on 34 CFR Section 361.48(p)

DRS pays fees only for

DRS does not pay state or municipal tax assessments on occupations. DRS management may not authorize any exceptions.

Do not pay for dues to a professional association or trade union unless paying for the dues meets best-value purchasing criteria or you can justify the purchase as critical to the success of the consumer's employment. Enter a case note in the consumer's file to justify the purchase.