Post-closure services are those services to assist the consumer in maintaining, regaining or advancing in employment after a consumer has been determined to be rehabilitated. The goal of post-closure services is to help consumers reach a level of
- job retention, and
- job stability
in the career of their choice.
Consumers placed in jobs may experience problems, which emerge or persist after a period of time. Post-closure services are designed to
- respond to consumers' problems and
- supplement services provided to consumers previously planned on the IPE.
As part of the rehabilitation process, all consumers must be informed of
- the purpose of post-closure services,
- their eligibility for such services, and
- their right to contact the counselor if any problem arises which jeopardizes their job.
A consumer may be considered for post-closure services if the consumer
- has been determined to be rehabilitated;
- needs help in maintaining employment;
- continues to have a visual disability; and
- has an employment-related problem which does not entail a complex or comprehensive rehabilitation effort, or address a new and distinct vocational handicapping condition.
Consideration should be given to reopening the case in applicant status (02) if:
- the consumer requires complex or comprehensive services;
- the consumer's problem regarding employment addresses a substantial impediment to employment that is new and distinct from that condition addressed in the original individualized plan for employment;
- the consumer has a new vocational goal which would require extensive additional training;
- provision of post-closure services will exceed 12 months; or
- the consumer's case has been closed for more than one year.
If the consumer will be reapplying for services and the paper case file is still at a DARS field office at the time of the request, the closed case file must be mailed to the receiving office within three days of the request for transfer.
If a consumer's closed case file has been transferred to the DARS Records Center, refer to the DARS Business Procedures Manual, Chapter 13: Records Management, 13.7 Records Retrieval, for the appropriate procedures to request the file.
Do not transfer a closed case from one caseload to another caseload in ReHabWorks
- Mutually plan with the consumer post-closure services.
- If post-closure services are required at the time of case closure, close the case as successful and then reopen immediately by selecting Post-Closure Services in ReHabWorks and then complete a plan amendment. Use the VR Successful Closure with Post-Closure Services letter (DARS5209) located in ReHabWorks.
- If post-closure services are initiated at a later time, reopen by selecting the case closed as successful and selecting from the navigation menu in ReHabWorks, Post-Closure Services and then complete a plan amendment.
The counselor makes full use of all available comparable services and benefits, both public and private, to reduce or eliminate the need for payment for post-closure services and document the use accordingly.
When post-employment services are necessary:
- complete an individualized plan for employment (IPE) amendment;
- provide a copy of the plan to the consumer (and representative, if any); and
- enclose a cover letter that includes the intent of the statements in the DARS5209, VR Successful Closure with Post-Employment Services letter.
When post-employment services are not necessary:
- notify the consumer in writing; and
- *include the intent of the statements in the sample letter, DARS5208, VR Successful Closure letter. This letter is an IPE amendment.*
*Based on CFR Sections 361.46(c)(1)(2)(3) and 361.56(d)
See Chapter 2: Intake, 2.1.16 Post-Closure Services and 2.1.17 Post-Closure Completed for guidance in determining whether post-employment services are necessary.
The transfer of cases in status 32 will be handled in the same manner as a case in any other status. For more information, go to Chapter 40: Case Management, 40.4 Guidelines for Referral and Transfer of Cases.
The decision to end post-closure services should be
- made in consultation with the consumer, and
- based on the counselor's judgment.
When closing a case from post-closure services, be sure that the problem that required post-closure services has been addressed.
Confirm that the consumer:
- can function without post-closure services;
- has favorable prospects for job security;
- is satisfied with the job;
- has accepted the employee benefits and opportunities for job development and advancement;
- has a job that is suited to his or her capabilities; and
- has a chance to advance through self-initiative within the area and labor market.
Note: In some cases, you must confirm that the consumer's condition or situation is such that post-closure services cannot help in maintaining employment.
To close a case from Post-Closure Services, select "Post-Closure Closure" navigation menu in ReHabWorks and complete the required information. Send a letter to the consumer (DARS5218, DBS Closure from Post-Closure Services Letter-VR, IL) confirming that the case will be closed within 30 days unless the consumer notifies DBS.